Windows of the Word
The Gospel in the windows! What an interesting concept! As we worship together in the beautiful building which God has given us, we enjoy the message of the Good News of Jesus Christ surrounding us in the inspirational art of the stained glass.
In the late 1950’s when Rev. Albert F. Jesse, pastor of St. Paul, and the Building Committee made plans for the church building, stained glass windows were an important part of the consideration. In agreement with the St. Louis architectural firm, Froese, Maack, and Becker, which drew the plans for the building, and the local supervising architect, Eugene Wukasch; The Rev. Adalbert R. Kretzmann, Litt. D., pastor of St. Luke Lutheran Church in Chicago, was engaged to design the symbolism of the windows. Through Dr. Kretzmann, contact was made with a stained glass company in Cologne, Germany, the same company with which he was working as he prepared the windows for the new Valparaiso University Chapel. These German artisans were chosen because of their craftsmanship and fine dedication to detail.
Through the years, generations have been spiritually nourished through this medium, and we look forward to the future as we continue to use the windows as an educational aid and inspiration for worship. We are grateful to God for the wisdom of the designers, planners, artisans, and donors, all who played key roles in the presentation of the art glass. Time and weather have taken a toll on the windows and now the Sanctuary Windows Restoration and Preservation Committee is working diligently to make sure we have these treasures for years to come. We thank the committee for their efforts and the donors who continue to make this possible.
We invite you to take a tour of the Windows of the Word with Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller, pastor of St. Paul, as he gives explanation and points out details of the beautiful windows.
God be praised!